The Safety City Staff
- State Trooper Sparky Dean
- Trooper Dean has been with the Texas Department of Public Safety since 1977. In 1994 he began working at Safety City, just one of his many job responsibilities. Trooper Dean wants to remind you why it is important to wear your bicycle helmet when driving your bicycle:
- A bruise to the brain does not heal like a bruise on your arm.
- Your brain is what makes you unique. Wearing a bicycle helmet is important to Maintain Your Brain!
- Officer Tracy Gates
- Officer Gates joined the Abilene Police Department in 2003 after graduating from Abilene Christian University with a degree in Sociology. She has worked as a patrol officer, a detective, a training officer, a member of the Crime Suppression Unit and is a member of the Police Bicycle Unit. She became the Safety Education Officer in May of 2010. She is married with children.
- Steven Bockenfeld
- "Mr. B." joined Safety City in the summer of 2012 after spending 30 years in the Air Force. Since arriving in Abilene in 1994, he has received an education degree from McMurry University and numerous other degrees and certifications from Villanova University and the Community College of the Air Force. He looks forward to working with the fantastic people of the Big Country and is very excited to contribute to the community in an environment where he can teach children and enjoy the outdoors.
- Kara Hunter
- Kara Hunter is the Public Education Coordinator for the Abilene Fire Department and enjoys being able to combine her background in education with the importance of teaching fire safety to the community. She is originally from Chicago, but loves being in Abilene with her husband and son. She reminds you to please check your smoke detectors and have an escape plan out of your home.
Officers of the Abilene Police Department, Troopers from Texas Department of Public Safety, and Firefighters from the Abilene Fire Department assist Safety City when needed. We appreciate their support in the Safety City program.